The Professional Baseball Strength & Conditioning Coaches Society (PBSCCS) and the Pittsburgh Pirates are providing an exciting opportunity for two local high schools in the Pittsburgh area to become Pittsburgh Pirates ATLAS & ATHENA Schools. Through this program, sport teams will receive the nationally acclaimed ATLAS and ATHENA programs. ATLAS and ATHENA are award-winning, evidence-based health promotion and drug prevention programs for high school athletes.
Schools will receive:
- Curriculum materials to implement the ATLAS and ATHENA Programs with all of their school sports teams
- Program training for all participating coaches and select student-athlete leaders, hosted by the PBSCCS and Pirates (includes transportation, breakfast snack and boxed lunch)
- Stipends for coaches to implement the programs with their sport teams ($100)
- Local and national recognition from the PBSCCS and Pirates
- A school banner and t-shirts for all participants
- Coaches must be able to attend a half-day training at the Pirates stadium to learn how to implement ATLAS and/or ATHENA. Transportation, breakfast snack and boxed lunch will be provided.
- Coaches agree to schedule and complete 10 ATLAS or 8 ATHENA program sessions during the 2011-2012 academic year.
- Coaches agree to participate in the training only if they are committed to implementing ATLAS and ATHENA within their teams for the program.
- Coaches will receive a $100 stipend at the completion of the program.
Director of Implementation and Distribution
Oregon Health & Science University
ATLAS and ATHENA are copyrighted programs of the Center for Health Promotion Research at Oregon Health & Science University. More program information is available at www.atlasprogram.com.